France, department of Charente, city of Angouleme
In Angouleme, Templars possessed a house with a chapel close to the seigneurial castle, but archives are quite vague about the location of this House.
All that is known from an act arbitrating a conflict between Templars of the preceptory of Boixe and the abbey of Saint-Amand-de-Boixe(1), is that Brother Aimery Lambert was the preceptor of Angouleme, Boixe and du Fouilloux at the same time.
In 1373, the papal inquiry into the properties of the Hospital revealed that the place had been abandoned for two years and that it had generated no income since.
In 1588, the Duke of Epernon(2) decided, upon the King's order, to modify the fortifications of the castle of Angouleme. These modifications lead to the destruction of the Templar House and its chapel which were near the lower court and the high walls of the castle.
The Commander of Villegats, upon whom Angouleme depended, sent a petition to the Duke of Epernon to spare the buildings, but he was denied. All the buildings were razed to the ground and the materials re-used to build the new fortifications.
(1)Benedictine abbey whose history goes back to the late 9th century. It was founded in the 7th century on the tomb of Saint-Amant in the forest nearby and then moved in the 11th century to its present location, in the commune of Saint-Amant-de-Boixe.
(2)Jean Louis de Nogaret , Lord of La Valette and Caumont. Born in 1554, died in 1642. Duke of Epernon from 1581 to 1642.