Denmark, Zealand (Sjælland), around 20 km north-east of Korsør.
In 1165, Valdemar Ist, king of Denmark, donated to the Order of St-John of Jerusalem an important estate in Antvorskov.
Shortly after, the Order built there an important preceptory, which will become its main house in Denmark.
Its expansion is aided by significant donations made by all the surrouding lords. Its influence in danish political life is such that the priest of the preceptory is often called to the Royal Council.
During the 13th and 14th centuries, the preceptory became one of the most important landlords after the king's family.
In the beginning of the 16th century, the Lutheran Reformation is imposed to the country after a civil war of 3 years(1). From this moment on, the preceptory that rather looks like an imposing monastery, is seized by King Christian III(2), who converted it into a royal castle.
During the 18th century, the castle is converted into barracks for the danish army, and in the beginning of the 19th century, it is deserted, fell to ruins and finally destroyed in 1816.
At this time, only few ruins of the buildings remains. These ruins were identified as bakery or a kitchen and a store. Archaeological works are on to restore this ruins , preserve and highlight it.