The preceptory of Brumetz

Contributor : Frédérique Roustant
Translation : Andrew Zolnai
No pictures available

France, département de l'Aisne

France, department of Aisne, about 30 km north-east of Meaux.

We have very little information about the creation of a preceptory in Brumetz and even less about whether this place belonged to the Order of the Temple or the Order of the Hospital.

As in his book, E. Mannier did not expressly specify that Brumetz had a Templar origin, we will consider that the Order of the Hospital was at the origin of the creation of this house.

E. Mannier also added : "The farm was in front of the village cemetery along the road to Gandelu.
This domain, in which the Preceptor held all the judicial, high, medium and low, had been formed by several acquisitions made by the Hospitallers in the course of the 14th century, of the priests of the Holy Trinity(1) , living in Cerfroid, dependency of Brumetz. This priory had received the greatest part of its property and revenue, from Gauthier de Chatillon(2) , count de Portien, and constable of France. This lord had given them, in 1310, lands in his seigniory of Brumetz and rights of use in the woods of Cerfroid, Gandelu and Passy. He had, moreover, redeemed(3) all that the priory possessed in the seigniory of Gandelu, in charge of causing two masses of the Holy Spirit to be said for him every year, as long as he lived, and after his death two masses of "Requiem ".
The income of Brumetz was, in 1757, of 1000 livres, and in 1783, 1700 livres."

At its peak, the domain of Brumetz consisted of a large farm and more than 150 arpents(4) of lands.

Notes :

(1)The Order of the Most Holy Trinity and of the Captives, known as the Trinitarian Order, is a Catholic religious order founded around 1194 at Cerfroid by Saint John of Matha and Saint Felix of Valois, to redeem the Christians captive of the Moors.

(2)Gaucher V of Châtillon, born around 1249 in Châtillon-sur-Marne and died in 1329. He is buried in the abbey of Pont-aux-Dames, in Couilly-Pont-aux-Dames. He is the son of Gaucher IV of Châtillon and Isabelle of Villehardouin. He is lord of Chatillon, count of Porcien. He was appointed constable of Champagne in by King Philippe III, then appointed constable of France by King Philip IV "the Fair".

(3)Permanently relinquish the rights and obligations attached to a property by allowing it to become the property of ‘mainmorte’ people in return for compensation or without charge.

(4)Depending on the region, one arpent was more or less 50 ares.


pour une bibliographie plus complète... Bibliography
  1. "Les commanderies du Grand Prieuré de France"(lien sur archive.org - volume 1 - lien sur archive.org - volume 2)
    Eugène Mannier, 1872
Webmaster : Christophe Staf
Translation : Andrew Zolnai
© Templiers.org 2003-2017