The preceptory of Metz
Pages list about this topic :
- Site presentation (current page)
- Pictures bank
France, department of Moselle, city of Metz.
The first date known of the settlement of Templars in Metz is 1133, which makes it the most ancient on the lands of the Holy Roman Empire.
In between 1180 and 1220 the Templars built an octagonal chapel in Roman style outside. The inside presented a ribbed vault and the nave opens on a square choir and on a little apse in "cul-de-four".
In 1312, as happened for the large majority of Templar places, the preceptory of Metz fell to the hands of the Knights of St John of Jerusalem.
In 1556, the chapel was converted in warehouse due to the building of the citadel.
Recorded as historical monument, it is listed on the first list made by Prosper Mérimée.
Now, a patted cross is still visible onto the lintel of the main door of the chapel.
- "«Les Sites Templiers en France»"
- Jean Luc Aubarbier et Michel Binet ; éditions Ouest-France, 1997